February 10, 2006

This and that

Yet again I fall foul! This time I am accused of being too wordy ever since I have enrolled in a company of a bardy type. The complaint is that of ignoring the Great Indian Masses. DH, the first reader of my posts, doting hombre that he is, tells me that there is actually a dedicated audience for this blog which I am putting off by peddling obscure verbiage. Keep your company stuff out of the blog like any professional would, he advises. My statement that he must be suffering from some form of grand delusion with regard to my readership is refuted by his claim that he and his friends discuss daily my posts offline and in other fora and I merely need to check the hits. I counter by saying I find counters obnoxious and this is my blog, na? The argument goes onn'on. Anyways, dedicated devoted wifey that I am, this one is for all dh's friends?

Just when I was making peace with Bangalore and thought of putting down some medium-term roots here, the place turns me off yet again. Want plants, go to Lalbagh, I'm told. Or, you could try the Indo-American nursery in Banashankari. Or, the smaller nurseries at Siddapur. I went to all these places yesterday, thanks to a welcome mid-week break for ritualistic self-flagellation. Torture, it was to trek from one furiously foliar nursery to another with their riot of palms, crotons, other variegated foliage plants, Monsteras- swiss-cheese plants, bleeding hearts, mother-in-laws' tongues, leaves leaves every what of the colourful flowers. How I missed the sprawling monumental Sundar nursery or the more compact but discerning Jorbagh nursery. Ah, for the flowers of my youth! Where in this city can I get the dahlias, the pansies, the petunias, the balsam, the calendulas, the chrysanthemums, marigolds to grow and enjoy, and not merely carry the pots home? As with books so with plants, I long for Delhi!

But while on books, my friend, who has recently been conferred a prestigious award (sorry no link for that), has presented clueless me a hat-ke book. Thank you for the redeeming read Raghu!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, i (actually it's DH) am a regular at lal bagh. we've got many flowering plants from there.

ano

Shankari said...

Hi Anitha! My point was that unlike Delhi nurseries where you get almost everything at one place, saplings, seeds, earth, manure, equipment et al, here one needs to hop around- the tiny little saplings aren't even colour coded so one doesn't know what coloured flowers to expect- if at all. Safest to buy a pot with flowers and buds and enjoy them while they last. Which totally deprives one of the pleasure of watching them grow. BTW, do expect to see me coming along to admire your plants, o green thumb (or wife of one!)

Anonymous said...

hey, ur welcome any time! we use seeds too quite often, so we have a fun time watching the plants grow, and the excitement of the first bud is always so thrilling! :)

ano

Prithi Shetty said...

Turning off - hell no. Your blog is good exercise for GRE preparers ! :)

Don't tell me you didn't find flowers ! If you are in a mood for long sunday drive, then check out for nursery's near Big Banyan Tree, off Mysore Road, that area.

So how is the book ? Enough material for separate post ?

Shankari said...

GRE preparers, Prithi? C'mon!:D

Yes I've been planning that ride for a long time- its just that the kids are overwhelmed by the monkey tales!

Talking of the book, its brought in more in its wake. Will write about all that!

Pallavi said...

dont know much about plants since I had so many due to my dad that I never bothered to learn about them and took them for granted.. :(

But Lalbagh had some nice collection of all that you wanted.. does it depend on season..

I had my friends pick it up from the outskirts of the town..

Mmmm or you could try the Hybrid nursery just next to Ulsoor Lake.. there is a nice Italian restaurant there too.. maybe I shall take you there sometime.. :)