February 19, 2006

Silly season


Whatever it may be in the western world, in India the silly season is well and truly on. From the beginning of the month of Maagha when the Sun sets off on its northern journey to nearly the end of the month when the Shivaratri heralds the onset of serious unrelenting summer, it is the Indian silly season.

And during this crazy season the noteworthy celebrations are themed on the silliness of the season itself. First, there is the Vasant Panchami, the formal harbinger of Spring when all the people are bedecked in the brightest sunniest yellows and engage in much merry making. Then there is the ultimate abandon of Holi which is ritualistically formalized by the communal consumption of opiates. The end of the silliness is on the night of Shivaratri where the ghosts, gnomes and all the world's weirdos are supposed to parade in the wedding procession of Shiva himself.

The government of my state has been changed this silly season. The world is congregating in the city of Bangalore to communally learn how to breathe making it that much more difficult for us beleaguered citizens, the temperatures are soaring yet the silliness permeates. There is too much silliness around. Yet the silliness of the season was celebrated so beautifully for me when I attended a concert of Shuba Mudgal.

The flashing diamonds nearly had me comparing her to those two ladies. She has the sweet devotion of one and the tremendous range of the other and yet her style is totally her own. Her repertoire seems limitless stretching from pure classical Hindustani music to the lighter styles of semi-classsical music to pop to jingle jangle and all. But she chose to go along with the silly season and sang only the sweet silly songs of vasant. Thumris, bhajans, horis and rasias- all about the shyam sundar in braj and thereabouts. And the diamonds, they brilliantly kept tune with her tones!

The intense pleasurable longing that Krishna evokes rendered in multiple compositions in raga desh juxtaposed with such musical fun and banter that I forgot myself totally. Lost in the music I felt I was in the pastoral vasant kunj of braj bhoomi not a stuffy air-conditioned hall in an urban mess. Young Murad Khan at the sarangi was wonderful in trying to match Shubha's virtuosity but one really missed a flute!

It was such beauty that I re-engaged in my eternal waiting for Him. He who showed the whole universe to his enraptured mother, who could appear to be singularly present and yet collectively mesmerise. For a glance of that divine beauty, I did go here but I think He is more there. Or so it seemed to me this silly season. In truth He is everywhere if only we can reach out and invoke Him.

Priya, if you are reading this, isn't Krishna more than a mere saviour of the oppressed downtrodden in his Apatabandhava form? Isn't he also the friend who plays foolish pranks and ensures that all are happy? For all his braj and Gujarati stories, He sure must, in spirit, be a true blue Bangalorean to be doing all this outsourcing, huhn?!!

Note: In celebration of the silly season, I've changed my colours too. Eventually I may return to staider stuff but for now- it's the silly pretty pitambar!

26 comments:

Prithi Shetty said...

Wow, you have used silly/silliness a record 14 times in this post !

Anonymous said...

I think it is the most wonderful season that we have. Weather is at its best. We in Delhi look forward to this season and Shankari, for both of us, February is the best month that can happen, right?

I did like the colour as it represents the vibrant season, but yellow would have been more appropriate. This also happens to be the time when most weddings take place. So , no way, this is a silly season.

Love u,

Shankari said...

Hey Prithi, wow! This is way better than any analytics! Just shows how this business (pl. note I do not use THAT word again!) affects me.

And thanks Chitra for liking the silly colour!

:)

scott said...

I have no idea what you are talking about, and I do. I am not a religious person, but I have been.

You seem happy and well. I'm glad, and I hope you continue to be so.

Hello, Shankari.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Hi Shankari, first time here.
You have some really different thoughts, so I'll be back to read more of them. Cheers.

Shankari said...

Hello, Scott.

For a child of a sometime Krishna freak, you sure would know what I'm talking about ;)

Hi you NewZealander Mylaporean!Such a silly post to come first to, but guess you got the pic, hmm? hahahaa

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

though i din understand the music bit of the blog, i shud b lying if i din njoy the lovely hues on ur template ;)

Shankari said...

O Ganga! 'cool' na?

Swathi, even I dint unnerstan d mujik- jest felt it! :)

Vivek Y. Kelkar said...

Great post Shankari.
You say it all so well!
Hori and thumri in Basant ritu!

Shankari said...

Hey, great to see you here again, traveller!

Anonymous said...

MorPankh...Pitamber...ang basanti rang basanti aa gaya jine kaa mausam aa gaya.:):).

Pallavi said...

Hey I missed this... I love her voice .. where did this concert happen ?

Shankari said...

O Anj, you sing? Or is it only the silliness of the season??

Pallavi, this happened quite quietly in Ambedkar Bhavan when the rest of the city was going crazy with the AOL stuff!
Hope to meet up soon sweetie! :)

Prithi Shetty said...

Hey Shakari, It's not a silly color. It's Rang De Basanti :D Mine is colored all snow.

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

hey, r u the one who signed my GB on ryze??

Shankari said...

Swathi, it IS a small world na? :)

Priyamvada_K said...

Shankari,
The pitambar color is cheery. And the royal blue is one of my favorite colors.

Still pondering the various forms of Krishna....am reminded of the poet Bharati who saw a child, a friend, a lover, and everything in Him. Even now if we see a sweet baby boy, he reminds us of the stories we heard on baby Krishna.

LOL@at Krishna being a true Bangalorean in spirit. Good one!

Priya.

Shankari said...

O Ganga, wish you could get into one of those Volvo buses and come right over. But then even bangalore is being baked now. Waiting for the heat to abate and the showers of May (may be?).


Priya, I'm so glad you came here too. Glad that you like the colours I wear now!

Talking of Krishna today, on Shivaratri- a totally new mood envelops me- wonder where it'll lead. Do come back top see if takes me anywhere! ;)

Anonymous said...

We have had showers in delhi yesterday. and met. dept. has predicted showers for today also.

Shankari said...

Hullo Anonymous!
Thanks for the Delhi weather report! :)

Anonymous said...

since u talked abt bangalore baking , i thought i should make u feel jealous by mentioning the delhi weather. The days are really v.v. pleasant and today, i enjoyed the walk to saibaba mandir during the lunch break. did say a word of prayer for you too and this time i didnt forget any item from my list!!!!! Hope He remembers atleast a few of them .............

Shankari said...

Thanks Anonymous for thinking of me in your post prandial prayers! :))

Anonymous said...

shankari,

i am forced to refer to the dictionary !! use simple words. bWell, i thought u wd hv guessed it is me.

Love u.

chitra

Shankari said...

Yes, I knew it was you silly! :p

david raphael israel said...

Delightful Shankari!

I didn't even know about the silly season (per se) --
here in my cold clime, it seems more the dreary season. But maybe the silly season is a cultural remedy to malaise.
And nice form of a concert review too!

cheers,
d.i.

Shankari said...

Hi, nice to see you here, David!