February 07, 2006

Saying Grace

Something about this truth set me thinking, being that I was already on a spiritual high induced by that visit to the Big Boss. Yes, I had so many things to be grateful for. The material things I do not bother to list. Nor the other emotional props, I've been blessed with. I always had plenty- plenty of everything, including problems. But then I carried those too like a badge, proud of having problems, because I could deal with them.

Then somewhere things changed. I lost everything- especially my enthusiasm, my will, my protective shield of innocence. I became extremely cynical, an ugly monstrosity who would break into tears, be ungrateful for all I had, while hankering for what I might never have had but believed to be lost to me. A disbeliever.

If I am here today, it is only due to the tremendous faith and support I have imbibed from my family. And when I say that I mean, my extended family. My family of course, like all families is headed by the strong leaders- with a preponderance of strong women- my friends- in the physical and virtual realms. Women I have met and those I have never met. Yet I have sought them out daily and at times hourly for support and sustenance. Women like the Sunset Angel and her group of strong people who have always been there for me for these past seven years. Tara, Elizabeth, Heidi, Danielle, Pam, Susie, Judi, the list is too long? They have always been there for me like a safety net. And still, their message was clear- I had to deal with my problems for my self- 'they' wouldn't sort them out for me. But what they gave me was priceless- a faith in me!

Recently, I 'met' Ellen, who has had a most remarkable effect on me. And Teri. So all you who think I am a big strong woman, just remember I'd be nothing without my bigger stronger family. My cup brimmeth over! Heres to you all- Thank you!

8 comments:

Michael said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHANKARI!!!
Here's an Irush Blessing for you -

May the saddest day of your future be no worse
Than the happiest day of your past.

Pallavi said...

Amen to That and hope you have a great day... I wish I had seen this post earlier.. :)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Priyamvada_K said...

Happy birthday again, Shankari! What would we do without our support system? The older we get, the more we realize how much we women need each other.

Priya.

Prithi Shetty said...

Hey Shankari, Many Best Wishes for your Happy Birthday ! :)
And thank you for your wishes :)

Anonymous said...

God I am late...Belated happy Birthday.
I love this post. It is the greatest gift any friend can give you - faith.

Shankari said...

Thank you old friends and new :)

Pallavi, it was really nice to meet up and have friends being friends! :)

Prithi Shetty said...

Why what's the matter Shankari ?

arvindiyer said...

Happy B'day to you...happy B'day to you...happy B'day happy B;day...happy B'day to youuuuu...

Ah can't believe this..someone actually is inspired from my posts? *dreamy eyes....*