December 22, 2005

Gagged & gagging

I've been gagged.

My freedom to blog has been severely constrained by the dh and dd. The dear husband and dear daughter are getting too dear to support. Every time there is the slightest reference to them in any of my posts, hell breaks loose in our otherwise placid (!?!) place. Point in reference is the cutesy (cute si?) post of the 21st. Which one? you'd ask. Sorry, its not there anymore. And why pray? Becuz' dd thinks it is a tremendous strain on her privacy! How dare you put up my silly stuff on the internet, Amma? Becuz' I'm so heart-breakingly proud of you my angel, I wish to say. But daren't. A pre-teen is, after all, nearly a teen!

And dh? He is a man of the world, adult, self-assured confident successful responsible resourceful a leader of men (& some women, too!), why would he deny me a few mentions in my posts? Why does he think that my routine insignificant rants are a major attack on his performance as a husband provider and father? Merely if I post them on my blogs? C'mon, what rants could I have against them, I who do not claim myself to be free of tremendous shortcomings of laziness; lack of focus; an opinion on everything; a cavalier attitude to all I have be it love; affection or money; a tendency to be truthful when tact would be advised; a prickly hedgehog who loves people but is uncomfortable with individual specimens and is extremely likely to poke quills into the softest of targets if they stray too close; an indifferent cook; and a lousy home maker who would lean to Erma Bombeck than Martha Stewart. Just some among these flaws of mine which Ellen has so comprehensively enumerated, and dh and dd are so apt and prompt to point out to me?

People who know us would know better than to judge herr or her on the basis of my rants alone. And those who know me alone would provide for the characteristic all pervasive modesty(!). If he is a golfer, then isn't he being true to type of being a golfer, in making a golf-widow of me? Isn't he, inspite of all his stupendous awesome talents in and off various fields, merely a *typical* husband to me? Does any code of privacy exist which could gag a wife and a mother? Does normal domestic talk assume such significance if it is posted on an informal chat spot? After all this is my private space and not a fencing ring(?) in which I thrust spar and parry over socially economically politically significant issues? Can I talk of me without talking of them who are such a part of me? Can any comment I make on them ever be more relevant than the fulsome admiration they get from the resident chief fan and side-kick???

Anyway, after this brief venting session, I get back to my in-house intubation...

PS: This has been vetted!

7 comments:

Innocent Bullet said...

Hahahahahaha...Ok! I shouldn't laugh too loud. So un-gentlemanly! :-) This was wonderful, especially the closing line - "this has been vetted". But coming back to your dH thing. It reminds so much of the new poem I wrote 'My New Play'. I once quipped men are still primitive. If they wish they'd cloak the woma(e)n they love in burqa. :-)))

Oops! I hope I didn't transgress. Thanks for dropping in at my blog. And I still have to read and understand the 'Tani post'. :-)))

Cheers

Dan

Shankari said...

Dan, Ooh, the woes of being married to an alpha male!
G, Hope, it wasn't *shocking*ly funny ;)

Anonymous said...

yeah I think its nice to have this part to yourself.. :)

Shankari said...

Welcome here Ina. Is it, Pallavi?

kaaju katli said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog :-) I see that I have lots to read on yours. Will be back soon!

Shankari said...

Welcome Katliji!

sayantani gupta said...

shankari
delighted!yep, the new year resolution is to retain sense of self and personal space amidst the welter of identities.
great to read this iconoclastic stuff.let me confess-hubbies can be irritating, exasperating and a downright bloody pain in their self-righteous"i know thee more than thee" mood...we gals need to blog away our angst just as they need to yak with male buddies at the lager pool!
so heres to more irreverent blogging.
that was just great, loved it, keep up the vitriol.
tani