January 12, 2006

Under the banyan tree



I strive restlessly ceaselessly
Thrashing hard, long, all day
Hoping that the next dawn will
Find me somewhere closer to you

Yet when day dawns seamlessly
You are you are no closer I daresay
But I aspire to reach you still
Hope these dreams will come true

You are grand, big and give me shade
I'll try to match you blade by blade
As I look up at your lofty brow
Much faster, bigger I wish to grow

But people say that it's the truth
Its unhealthy for me to be under your sway
Ah! they are plucking me from my root
And transplanting me some place away



OK. This one has a metre which I do not claim to comprehend!

This was the result of a desultory discussion on growth in corporate organisations. My position was that occasional uprooting is a prerequisite for gaining extra perquisites!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah...under the Banyan tree nothing grows. But beside it maybe a lot can grow.

AfricaBleu said...

I like your new movement into poetry. Shall I just call you "Yeats" from now on?

Very nice imagery.

LAK said...

Very deep funda, and lovely way of writing it. I liked it very much

Shankari said...

Thanks Anjali, good to know what 'can' grow sidebyside!

Hey Becky, I'd love to be known by my fav. poet's name, but frankly, I need more time in your freshman class before I could sport such affectations!
With much affection, as always! :))

Anonymous said...

Very nice! Perhaps we need to think of roots and spreading out in a bigger sense than we do now. :)
Meter sheeter I dont claim to understand or know, but interesting analogies.

DTclarinet said...

I like this, with it's layers of meaning.

I used to love banyan trees when I lived in India. My favorite part was swingin on the loose hanging roots.