January 25, 2006

An absurb Surd post

Recently, I've had the dubious distinction of being asked to adjudge a po-ab contest. Po-ab as in the poem absurd. While the general theme was absurd enough for me to participate or judge, with equal facility or lack thereof, I did not compete, merely judged. So I post my absurd composition here to be canned by you, the readers.

Typically for a dilli-walli, my sense of absurd immediately invokes an image of sardarjis or 'surds' as they are popularly known. More popular, no doubt, than the mathematical fragments, which I might have wrestled with, but would rather forget. I have had some of my dearest friends being surd and therefore would have liked to have penned an ode, but for the present this verse would have to suffice as an expression of my delightful relationship with sardars and sardarnis.

The poem follows an aabb ccddee ffgg sequence. I do not know what that makes it- hope it is suitably absurd! :)

Surds and Absurds

Talking all this absurd talk
I wish, and I do not mock,
I long for a long surd trip
But my yarn, I'd better 'zip'

Who would not love a surdy boy
The sight of one who is 'suchha' joy
With chubby cheeks and knotty tops
Intricate plaits lacing their mops
Even the gauntest of them are never grim
Hollowed cheeks maybe, but kerchief trim!

If boys be so pretty, what of the girls
Their hair is the hallmark, at times it curls
Little sikhnis, beautiful young ones
Sharp noses, sharper longer tongues!

7 comments:

Vinod Rajagopal said...

LOL.. this is neat... good one there shankari...

Anonymous said...

Hi Shankaree
No no no...the poem is not absurd, it's cute as the kids you describe.:):)

Anonymous said...

Hi Shankaree
No no no...the poem is not absurd, it's cute as the kids you describe.:):)

Pallavi said...

hahah thats such a sweet poem.. :)

LAK said...

Knotty tops! So sweet! And sharp noses and sharper tongues---you know your surds, shankari!BTW, you do know, don't you, in maths a surd is an irrational quantity?

Anonymous said...

Shankari....your sense of humour seems to be improving...hahahahah
....Pawan

Shankari said...

Oye Pawan! Welcome to my blog.