December 13, 2005

A window to my existence - *WARNING* Seriously sentimental & Long

The theme this week is Window says mamasaysom. So I play the usual word association game around the house. Start with dh. Window, I suggest. Hmm, he says, while attempting feebly to move his nose from the book its placed in. And quickly re-adjusts the nose into the next page of the first part of his discourse with the spiritual being! Window, I hint at dd, she immediately rattles off a long winded and extremely imaginative spiel which I can't do justice to in this post! Suffice to say that she is likely to blog much earlier than her tired old mum. Window, I ask my 6 year OLD baby. I'll open a 'window' and go to www.beyblade.com he fantasises even as he's gazing into the distance outside the window! So much for the family.

Reflecting inward, I didn't hesitate for a moment in recalling the most significant window of my life. It was the NICU window through which I saw my baby for the first time.

A baby whose birth was so different from the previous birth experience I'd had. Every woman who gives birth to a baby does so thinking that she alone has had to undergo the birth process and she is uniquely placed for that special reason. Later, when the collective wisdom of womanhood dawns, she realises the bond she shares with all the women of the world- whether or not they have birthed, they have the power to do so. Having once proved my capacity to give birth to a baby, I swung to the extreme of complacency. Things went right the first time, didn't they? I had a classic text book first pregnancy with the most perfect baby at the end of it. I thought I was through with the baby business, but then...

I'd borne the second pregnancy for nine months with an extremely relaxed attitude, bordering perhaps on the casual. I already had a child, who was the epitome of perfection- my daughter, my flesh and blood, my genes, my baby. Another baby? Would 'it' not intrude on our perfect relationship? Maybe they'd be good *sisters* like me and my sister!?

I had as many as 5 ultrasounds to tell me that I was growing a BIG baby within me. Very reassuring, na? Cricketer or cheerleader, what do you want? was what my radiologist used to ask. Considering it extremely infra dig to engage in such sexist talk, I'd keep a stiff upper lip even while my expanding middle was exposed to his scrutiny. Is it twins? Aren't you already due? others would ask. And yet unmindful of all this talk, I went about this pregnancy absolutely normally. Worked till the last week, was extremely uncomfortable but was actually blase about being pregnant. Been there, done that, hadn't I?

I had my bags packed, the baby clothes washed and just about everything under control. The baby just wouldn't come. Finally, I was induced, but still no go. When labour didn't progress and I was really done with waiting (!), I signed the papers for me to have a C-section. I was in control! Wanted the baby OUT! Then things totally spiralled out of my hands... I had anaesthesia which was NOT an epidural. I was OUT!

When I came to later that evening, there was something rather ominous. Instead of being reassured by all the women folk for the fantastic feat of birthing, I had solemn looking men- my brother, my brother-in-law and all manner of uncles around. Where was my mother when I needed her? And where the h**l was dh?? Everyone spoke to me as if I was still unconscious or dead- talking all around me, trying hard to be calm and even cheerful about my having a baby boy with thick black hair. None of them would look me in the eye, tell me where dh was, or for that matter, why my baby was not being brought in to be shown to me from the nursery they said he was in. Still my N2O dimmed mind did not draw any dire conclusion. I was just angry.

My doc. came by and she was very sweet, yet, nothing by way of any explanation. It was only much later that dh came by and told me I'd had a very sick baby, whom he had got admitted in another hospital and that they would 'repair' the baby, on the fourth day, if he survived for 3 days. The ped. came by next and thankfully, he told me things the way I like to hear them- straight. He also told me there was a 20% chance of my baby's survival and also that statistics were for the studies, for my baby, he would live or die. Can't say which way.

There was nothing I could do lying prone there after a c-section, which I had so badly wanted. Waiting, to see the baby, I'd borne, felt within me, talked to, but never seen. Or, may never see. Three days and nights, when my life was NOT in my hands or my body. When I was sponged, my clothes changed, my hair combed, my bowels opened for me, while I just lay prone. Wondering whether I'd get to see my baby, to touch him, hold him, smell him, kiss him, feed him like I wanted to. My arms did ache as the rest of me.

On the fourth day, in the morning, Baby of Shankari (as his identity was) went under the scalpel for the first time. Heavily drugged, heavy doped, with morphine, dopamine, dobutamine, lasix being micro-managed and injected constantly through the IV pumps, his respiration and aeration controlled by the ventilator, and all manner of pipes and tubes stuck into him and sticking out of his little body, carefully nurtured by the NICU 'sisters', kept ALIVE, when I actually glimpsed him from the NICU window that evening, I knew I'd been revealed a major miracle. A life over which I'd never ever be able to claim any control. A personal glimpse of heaven!

I knew then that whatever this baby (and life thereafter) were to offer, I'd be blessed to accept!

PS: Theres a brief version of the story (factual and with lots of medical jargon) here.

12 comments:

Shankari said...

Ok. So the first comment comes from family- This was what dh emailed me now:

"hi , saw your blog on a....
i want to spend all my time thinking about him as he is NOW, his twinkling
eyes, "i want to be a champ like sachin", the beyblade champion, the
little chap who falls in love with any girls/women who has soft hair...;-)
He had a tougher time than most when he started but i would like to move
on, treat him normally and give him all support so that he has a best shot
in life....Here is a toast to the champ...!!! Cheers...:-)"

one seriously senti mum

Anonymous said...

Shankari,

Though I was not there around with you in the hospital, my mind was always there, In fact, my entire family was praying for the kids well being. My father, who is rather indifferent, also used to ask me about the kid.

Alls well that ends well. I am still to meet him. On my next visit to Blore, I will certainly meet him.

Prbbly, somewhere in Europe, there is bayblade chamionship going on. Infact, the kids all around are practising for to be the champ bayblader.

Time for lunch.

Bye.

Chitra

Elaine said...

Oh wow. I'm going to have to go read the medical version, bc now I want to know more about you and this child and his fight to hang out on this world. What an amazing window to share with om. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I myself am a little wary of preganancy.. brr.. but reading your story really made me think..

how is your baby now ? i am sure you must have gone through a tough time.. but you are doing ok arent you ? Hugsss to you and your baby..

I can only imagine the chaos withing you..at that time.. and I am glad to know he is doing well now..

may the Almighty bless you both ..

Shankari said...

Thanks Chitra, I was constantly aware those days, that I was NOT alone. How does one thank friends?

Elaine, the window to share this with om, was really nice. Thanks for om, which I reached thru Karen Rani. Hope to chant my stuff with you guys.

Pallavi, let me hasten to add... I DID have a *normal* baby first and for all purposes, as dh's comments show, my cherub IS a *normal* 6 year old, who as of now loves his mum's hair! (But not maybe for long! lol) Its just to a silly senti mum that all babies are *special*. Having said that, its your life, BABY!

Teri said...

Wow...you express yourself so beautifully. Thank you! Kiss that little boy for me! :)

Shankari said...

Hi Teri! That I'll do! :x

Hi KB! Amazing. Beautiful. Powerful. Your days in the bubble!

B.S. said...

I am glad that this story has such a happy ending. I can only imagine how much you suffered, though, when you awakened after his birth. A post like this causes me to be more aware, more grateful, more awed.

AfricaBleu said...

Wow. What an amazing story. Great post - I'm glad alls well that ends well.

Kari said...

Wow....what a story. It gives me the chills. I can picture looking through that window at my newborn babies...and they were healthy. I can't even fathom what you were going through. Thanks for sharing!

Shankari said...

Wow! Artsymama, you are good! You may even yet convert me to scrapbooking!
I've printed out tons of your templates, hope to keep the kids busy with them :) Thanks for stopping by.

Jyotsna said...

This was a very touching post to read especially for me as i went through the same experience with my 2nd born..
am glad i came by
:)