December 09, 2005

The third and the laaast is...

me.

Started this morning with checking up the status of my fav. people in the world. Scott seems to be fine, Ellen seems to be getting her votes, garnet has gone into self proclaimed hibernation, *hey* how did I leave you out Becky (defiantly, a mistake, hahaha) and so on, my friends on my various lists seem to be doing good too, but verymom had a 'blue' day in the midst of her babymoon. Coping with a second child's second birthday with the third around and during the babymoon too! Set me thinking about me being the third kid ...

I was born when my parents were past their mid 30s and this was back in the late 60s! When by 40, people became grandparents, atleast here in India. As a result they had kids in school for a looooong time. :) I joined school the year my eldest sibling had passed out of school. So often I felt I was an afterthought, the child which was allowed to stay (NOT as in left behind, but just stayed). Having seen my parents as always serious and 'old' compared to those of my friends. I would often ask this of my mother, why did you have me? And she'd look kindly at me (she is NOT a very physical person!) and say, because I had to, I wanted to, you are so important to me, blah blah. She was not a SAHM and she really had to work VERY hard to care for her home and kids in addition to her career. Each pregnancy was a tremendous drain on her feeble health too. So why?

Liberal, I am! Prochoice and actively following the pro life/ pro choice debates at various fora, an excellent one here , but isn't all because, I am, I think?!

10 comments:

sayantani gupta said...

hey
that was great!yep we,ve come a long way babe.me, no kids and glad to be alive in the 21st c with head held high and not an emotional wreck as shown recently in rituparno ghosh's antarmahal!
tani

Sideways Chica said...

Hey Shankari...you are! I enjoy your site, and your insight too!

Ciao for now...

Teri

BTW, As it is Friday, I've posted my weekly article. Come on by if you get a chance.

Shankari said...

Dear tani, welcome back. Its great to have you to bounce various off- can nearly feel the feeling in my m(y)arrows, talking to you. But sweetheart, I think, I said something, very subtly, which was lost in the long way we've come, baby.
Thanks Teri. Will do.

Prithi Shetty said...

Hey great template. Very pleasent look actually.

As far as I have seen around me, motherhood is a very very customized event. Pro & anti choice debates will continue, at theoretical level. But the actual responsibility & action is upto the individual women, and each different from the other.

DTclarinet said...

Hey Shankari- It's nice to be included in your blogger mood overview! How fun.

And to read about your views of the burdens of child raising.

Have you checked out my friend Whirling Betty? You might like her blog and her style. (I mention her because she's a single mother, and not the motherly type)

Anyway, back to hibernation. (this comment is only the 4th I've written in two days, because you're special) G

Anonymous said...

Here, I can empathise with you. My father 42 and my mother 32, when I was born. But,we could always relate to our mother, not as much to our father. and with we 3 sisters, we became 4 of us to play carrom, cards during the hot vacations.

I think it is their profession ( in both our cases), which made it easier for them to relate to us and not have the "generation gap" tussle.

Whatever,in your parent's case , whether is their after thought , or accident., it is all for the best. If not for that, I wouldnt have got a friend. I really would like to thank them .

Chitra

Anonymous said...

Hmm.. I guess sometimes now and even before.. having kids was kind of a duty to produce.. gladly that is changing slowly... I guess.. and I would like to think that they wanted kids and that is why they had them.. but then it would be very idealistic..

Anonymous said...

How horrible would u think i am if i told u i used to tell vidya we'd picked her up at the market? ;D

Shankari said...

Aww! Meena. Next time I see pore' Vidyu, she'll get one BIG ((())) from me! Trust me to say something rotten like this :p BTW, she's incommunicado for me ever since she ;ost her phone :(
And this must be my finest post yet, given that its been misunderstood so much! :p
Yes indeed, it is about choice- but how far have we come???- with the array of choice available, ethically and medically? When women still hate to come out of the closet and declare themselves 'infertile', when they have to undergo the extremely traumatic experiences to erase that mark. Those of you who are still on this page, please follow the travails of herveryown at http://herveryown.typepad.com. Sorry, can't insert a link at my present level of non-geekdom. Shall get myself a Dummies book right away today!

Priyamvada_K said...

Dear Shankari,
Saw your Ganga post, loved it, followed the links, and came here.

Lovely posts!

Priya-who's-prochoice-but-a-hopeless-baby-lover.