December 24, 2005

Currently grounded

There, just as I think I am special, different, differently abled, unique, Biff Loman rears his ugly voice and biffs one at me. No, I'm not dime a dozen I struggle to assert and each time like the Great American Salesman fall back exhausted. (Horrible true confession: I actually first read Miller at age eight. What does that say about my parents and my family? What is the verdict???)

Ok, I'm just an average typical woman well provided (or is it?) for the brief stay on terra firma. But hey, theres something so different about me! I'm poorly wired and badly earthed so that I can get shocked by anything. A PCO phonebox where I need to drop a coin into a slot, the frig which I need to open a number of times a day, the aquaguard which I depend upon for some water when I need to drink it (a glass once a couple days or so), the iron, the underground cable in front of my house, the overhead electric pole- which is a such a reference point on our streets, the car, the kids, or a touch of other people who don't necessarily 'turn me on', I get my shocks from all of these.

Summer, winter, rains, barefoot or well-shod, nine-volt or high volt, horribly leaky or well insulated electric appliances, I somehow manage to 'connect' with them at a certain level. Having spent a long time with myself and my affliction, I realised that there is little I can do in terms of prevention or insulation and I just need to be philosophical, connect and let the cosmic *current* flow through me.

Imagine my shock then, when I came across Gangadhar's post and its comments from o so many people (more than a dozen!!) who are similarly afflicted. Miller, you are my millstone!

8 comments:

DTclarinet said...

Shankari- you are a trip! Happy Shocks! BZZZZZ! I like getting shocked. It keeps me awake! Maybe that's why I like sitting in front of the computer.

Too bad about Miller so early in life. Sad, it is. I don't think you'll recover, so enjoy it.

May the light in your heart shine bright and long.

Garnet

Shankari said...

Thank God(!) I didnt take you seriously about your hibernation, or I'd have been so deprived of pleasant buzzes!

Yes, I was exposed to Miller about the same time as I was to HG Wells and John Bunyan. But then I didn't 'connect' with them and never tried to thereafter! Maybe I should have tried with Lewis and Pilgrim Regress first?

Given that there is no way out but to enjoy, so be it.

Shankari said...

Hi Hiren. I agree with the truth in the comment and welcome.

Scot, am privileged to see you here! :)

Anonymous said...

hahah I guess we are all one of them inside..

Shankari said...

Just my point, Pallavi! ;)

Michael said...

Hi Shankari,
Thanks for dropping by at my blog. About the choclate..we have an inferior version in Delhi called 'Vertigo'. So whenever u're in 'saddi dilli' lemme know. I'll get you hooked on to Vertigo, and you can can kill me in a chocolate bath for revenge..whatsay;-)

Anonymous said...

What happened ? no new posting. Somehow got used to seeing your site everyday and reading and finding more about you.

Without any new additions in your site, i find the day incomplete, No flattering. Anyway, u know me, I cant flatter to please people.

I sincerely hope that things are fine at your end.

Chitra

Shankari said...

Hi Michael! Kaash, I could be in dilli and drowned in chocolate! But I may take you up on your offer to dunk you in the gooey stuff.

Chitra, I'm fine, or as much as I usually am. Just been a bit ragged. Hope to resume soon.