December 03, 2005

Enabled Persons!

Today (3rd December) is the UN International Day of Persons with disabilities.

While the international agencies, enlightened and socially aware individuals may glorify the day and mark it with numerous celebrations, spread awareness, promote understanding, seek support for dignity rights & well being for persons with disabilities in every aspect of political, social, economic and cultural life, me, I just like to salute the men and the WOMEN who have first given opportunities to 'differently abled' babies in the family. The women who have borne these children and abided by them throughout, I'd like to dedicate this day to them.

I'd like to rely on the words of a person who herself has been a mother 'superior' and has guided many women through motherhood, Erma Bombeck. Have laughed with her through all her 'family' moments and remembered her through so many of my own. Her Special mother may not be rib-tickling funny but touches some place in the chest just as much!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish all the parents get to read this link on 'Special Mother". Sometimes, the parents refusal to accept it makes it more traumatic. On top of it, the relatives blaming it on women and ignoring the child is very painful. I have experienced people's remarks as I have two cousins who are mentally retarded. The best part of it, we should learn from them to love people. They are unaware of the people bitching about them and spread the affection to everyone around. Those two kids motivate me a lot even now.

Shankari said...

Hi anonymous! Please feel free to copy the Special Mother link and pass it on to people.(Am not aware of the copyright issues but as long as you mention Erma as the author, I guess it would be ok)

Jyotsna said...

it made me cry..tx for sharing this..i will pass it on for sure and have made a print of it to make my hubby read it as well...
and hey you are a fellow aquarian like me....
:)