November 06, 2005

I think therefore I am

Cogito ergo sum! Latin for I think, therefore, I exist! Rather than arrogating all thought and all existence to myself, I share the honours with all you who are here- and say "You think, therefore, you exist" as an extremely generous extrapolation of Rene Descartes! And while it may seem 'sour', like most things in life the title of my blogspace is deliberately obdurately misleading- 'so you are' is not to be read as sour. I've embarked on this blog with reservations and misgivings and exhortations from my family not to let all the skeletons out, so, while I would continue to exist, this blog here needs your comments for its continued existence.

Given that this is my first post and the people reading it (atleast for old times sake) would be friends, lets take a trip down memory lane. Given the way I look, and my friends don't need a pic to confirm this- there is not often a need for me to take a peek at the self and I generally avoid undertaking such daunting and daring activities. This policy has stood me in good stead for a large part of my life but then POLICIES are sooo boring.

Suddenly, one day, I looked into a mirror! WHAT A SHOCK it was! Me, a middle-aged woman (a couple of gray hair, too), with one husband, two kids, one steady boring bureaucratic career and no fun prospects whatsoever! How did I reach here? A birdwatcher who hasn't hefted a Salim Ali or Grimmett, Inskipp & Inskipp in eons? A person who doesn't climb trees however easy they are to climb. A creature who goes to the beach and sits demurely by the chappals? while kiddies splash about? A geographer who does book-keeping? And a dilliwalli in Bangalore?

So what really went absolutely wrong? Can it all be docked at the altar of marriage? Can a person change so much only becuz she lives in a different address? has tagged on a different 'sur'name? Or it it more biological? A hotch-potch soup of big mamas- estrogen & progestrone with the character roles being played by cortisol, adrenaline, prolactin, oxytocin, insulin and ofcourse the 'lil' daddy, testosterone? I have been known to hold the view that our lives are chemically determined and the only way to change things is through chemical intervention!?!

How did I or that most of us, land up where we are at present? Yes, we do have a sense of achievement and accomplishment, but is this what we set out for? Did the sweetest voice in school (not me, for the benefit of those who dont know me) not aspire to sing more than lullabies? Didn't the best footballer not want to more than a player of the stock market? And did the lawyers start by dreaming of legal skulldrudgery?? Yet the amazing thing is that so many of us are still so excited about keeping in touch and meeting up with each other. Come 18th of December, 2005, a 100+ of us from school are actually going to be there for the 21st! annual- looking, looking looking. Desperately seeking a confirmation from each other that we look the same- that though we are older, rounder, gentler, kinder to each other's faults, forgiving to a large extent our own and others' foibles, we are what we started of as. As fresh and cheeky and bright eyed as when we thought the world was black & white and not a maze of grays which we have to constantly interpret & navigate.

So, to reiterate the point, while we are constantly straddling the world to stay ahead, we do need to look back over our shoulders to see how far ahead we are and how quickly we can bridge the gap back to the starting point! And I feel that we need to take that measure because we NEED to stay in touch with our selves. Here I rest case- I think, therefore, I am and you think, so you are!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

trust me i m impressed.. u r command over the language is amazing...but i feel its a little too philosophical.. no point brooding over about the past.. got to live for today n tomorrow.. dont u think???

Shankari said...

Thanks for your post- my first comment too! Ya, I know I get carried away by the words- but thats me :|

Prithi Shetty said...

Hi Shankari,

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your flattering comment :)

You write very well. Have bookmarked you and Looking forward to more posts from you.

Regards,
Prithi.

Anonymous said...

so do I get to see you this winter.. or will the free willed, tree climber still waiting for some one to stretch a helping hand and carry you to the top of the canopy. never mind the scratches as the view to the birds is exonerating from the top..
enjoyed being part of your inner thoughts.every journey needs a plan and a constant check on the path that one had set out on.. the focus ahead gets sharper when one has the ability to learn from the past.great read. we have a story teller amongst us. I wonder how many in the group would get to read this? next one should also be posted on the site.
good show.
navneet m

Shankari said...

Ofcourse, Navneet! Can I afford to stay away yet another year? Even if I managed to get my mug & CD!?! Arre, why do you think I got so senti & wrote that one in the first place?

Shankari said...

Thanks Prithi! I meant all of that! :)

Anonymous said...

Dear girl, very very brave to let ur thoughts be read- i'm not. Set up a journal, which even narain isnt allowed to read!! blv it or not!! DON'T say middle aged- what does that make me??? Am NEVER going to cross 23!!! Going to bookmark this too, so i can come back, c what u've done!

Anonymous said...

Shankari bursting out! Not windy like Jethro Tull, but like a very fast moving river. Some of your allusions are over the top, but I have just noticed the link on times winged chariot, and have a good idea what the coy b****ing word is. This blog is absolutely necessary for all those who ever wonder what you have been thinking.
Absolutely grand, pull out all the stops and dams, you are doing it girl.

Anonymous said...

didnt know you wrote so well. i am impressed.

sayantani gupta said...

hi shankari
you put it sooo well.
we do need that zing to get us out of the rut, and yes its a great challenge to keep the words flowing despite the many eddies and twists to the path of living.
great to read your blog, and to share the ins-outs-lows-highs of planet earth.
keep it up.
tani
p.s took your cue and have dared to storm the techno-bastion.am at www.randomsparkles.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Shankari! A great man wrote
"Between the passing days, only two thjings change.Fate of a man and opinions of people." You know who the gr8 man is!! still guessing? Its me hahahha. But man here actually means 'person' not gender specific.

We all change our opinions and thoughts over the passing days. I always very strongly feel that 'contentment' is the key to satisfaction and happiness. Not static contentment; but accepting the way things come to us. Of course we shall keep trying and improve upon many things. So why look at the darker sides? Go positive and lookout for sunshine beyond the dark clouds.

It is a myth that women sacrifice their addresses and separate from family on getting married; objectively speaking, we men too are on the same boat. I haven't seenm many exceptions.

So cheer up and cheer the World around you.Your penning of thoughts is gr8 kepp it up.