November 12, 2005

Akhtari AM/AN

Love Saturday mornings. DH has a early tee-off. And Ela, Shalini, Kiran & all you who read my blog but post comments elsewhere, I do NOT resent weekend golf.

Have the entire morning to myself. To laze to gaze to bathe to be unbathed to stitch saree falls (wonder when they'll come up with velcro or iron-on falls) or whatever to be all my self- at least till the kids get up.

So too today, I had all the time in the world and a few bird calls had me going. I fancied a musical morning and so it was. Sublime Akhtari Begum! While I like her at all times of the day am or pm, her sonorous strong notes find the right spot particularly in the mornings and at night. All her strength, far from detracting from the soft lyrics give them the perfect attitude to make it bearable and to prevent it from becoming sentimental sap. Who after hearing begum sing Woh jo hum me tum me karaar tha would settle for the softer but sweeter version of Farida Khannam? Or any other song for that matter? Even a Mere Humnafas! Ya, I am a fan! She transforms even the sappiest of songs to the sublime. Even in her 'rona' for her 'Mohhabat tere Anjaam' is full bodied and as free from self pity as the lyrics would allow. So it is not her words but her rendition which really uplifts. But today I started with none of these classic favourites. What she does for thumris etc is even greater than her magic with ghazals which with their structured form and sentimental lyrics can be rendered even by the Udhases. Early in the crisp cool morning to be listening to 'Koyalia mat kar pukar' THIS started my day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bloggers inbound...fire sidewinder missile...Shankariji, I was waiting speechlessly for the Daphne Du Maurier reviews. But this one about Akhtari Begum will suffice. I have heard a thumri or khayal- I am not sure of the difference - called - "Koyali Na Bol Dal". Are you talking about the same thing? Anyway, sounds like a very regal morning...

Shankari said...

I think there is an entire koyaliya series. This one goes koyaliya mat kar pukar, jiyara lage kataar. But as I said, its not the words, its the andaaz!

Sorry some of your sidewinder allusions are lost on me.

I'm SLAVING over the Rebecca post,may take a day more :(

Do keep checking back cuz I do enjoy the comments- when I get them.

Prithi Shetty said...

i dont know the intricacy of Hindustani classical. but i love it and always feel good listening to it.

Anonymous said...

Those are flight simulator game terms. Flogger is the popular name for a Migoyan fighter plane. I can't help thinking of Flogger when I see Blogger. Sidewinders are a type of heat seeking missile launched from a Falcon fighter.

Thanks for the clarification about the Koyalia series. I thought only Kishoriji sang that Koyalia song.

Anonymous said...

Shankari,

I too love Begum Akhtar especially "woh jo hum me tum me karaar tha". But somehow I can't imagine CPM listening to Begum Akhtar so his weekend golf is probably a good thing.
Btw, I did not post any comments on you resenting weekend golf. I was just commenting on your husband's plans to buy you long stemmed roses to makeup for his weekend golf.

Ela

Shankari said...

O o, Ela,those 24 long stemmed roses? You commented right, you sure know him well ;)!

scott said...

I am not at all familiar with anything you're discussing, but I wanted to say hello.

Hello, Shankari.

Shankari said...

What about the un-indian Rebecca post, Scott? Thanks for stopping by.