March 09, 2006

My precious pearls

Betty knows best- she says. Don't we all? Yet we feel so pressurised by a society which wants us to conform and worse, wants kids to conform to set behavioural patterns.

If ds was THE test I had to take as a mother, then dd was obviously the top grades I got before the test itself! She was perfection personified to me! She was the baby of my dreams- all I hoped for and more. I could go on and on... Yet, if there was only one aspect of her which was underdeveloped, it was her social skills. The door bell would ring and she'd rush off trying to hide herself in the laundry basket or something. My sweet smart sensitive angelic baby, didn't want to be exposeed to all and sundry. And all around me people harped on that aspect of her alone because far from conforming- she actually outshone the rest in every other way!

Ds, he was born with a lot of problems - a very shaky start which did dog him into the first few years of his life. I worked hard with him to help me overcome the obstacles that had been placed for us to make our lives more challenging. Worked with medical and non-medical professionals who made dire pronouncements but always showed hope if only we would try. These were the people who first bonded with my son, before turning to me and talking to me. They gave him the comfort and joy that a child is entitled to.

But then there were the others- who in their limited way sought to label us. He is 'quite normal'! And this for a kid who had been through some of the most traumatic tortures that are around and was still up and smiling at the end of it all. Wouldn't you like him to join a 'special' school where he can learn at his own pace? You bet I didn't opt for that school- not because of the labels at all but for the o so superior smug talking down attitude of those dim-witted folk. Who judge all people and especially kids by their own limited yardsticks of mediocrity.

When I came home that day- for the first time I howled, never when I'd heard the bleakest prognosis had my heart faltered as that day, when I realised that I had cast my precious pearls at such swine.

6 comments:

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

tat waz quite a touchy post n i jus luved the picture

Happy Women's Day to U

Shankari said...

Hi Swathi- touchy feely me- with that big red heart! :))

Anonymous said...

What would life be without the iridescence of these pearls? Just glow in this light. Hugs to ur pearls.

Shankari said...

Thanks Anj!

B.S. said...

Your strength is exactly what I need for inspiration. You definitely know best, and can write about it eloquently to boot!

Hugs,
Betty

Shankari said...

Wher do I seek inspiration? From friends like you, Betty! The circle goes on! ((( )))