March 05, 2006

Lit-tle link

When Jon posted his link on the S and C network, little did I realise the significance of it.

All my adult life and earlier too, I've been reading. Reading in my 'mother' tongue, English. All kinds of stuff (and nonsense, too). All through the years when I have read prose, essays, plays and more, there has always been the poetic side too. Whether it be Christina Rossetti, Emily Dickinson, Blake, Tennyson, Keats, Yeats, Dryden, Donne, Marvell, Hopkins, Coleridge, Pound, Eliot, Browning, even Milton, through it all I have had a steady companion. Whenever the mood struck, I did not have to go a-seeking the poet, for my companion always came to my rescue in searching for and enjoying the right poem for the mood. Today for the first time, even after using the world wide web for so many years, I felt that Palgraves had a competitor, finally! The added pleasure of reading and hearing poetry.

Ah! for the pleasure of hearing Sir Richard Burton chiding the old lazy fool sun, talking of Eagles and doves, the hemispheres, hearing Yeats himself recite the Isle of Innisfree, listening to Dylan Thomas about his childhood, Tennyson, Eliot, ah the pleasures are too many. And Jon promises that it is still WIP :-)

So I spent the entire day today at Jon's site roaming among his various links and guess thats where I'd head back! While I do lurk at many blogs with faithful regularity, I never sought to blog-roll them, but this one here- I might as well not have a blog presence if I don't offer a link to this. Enjoy the feast there...



*Warning* : This is NOT a site for those who consider the writings of Danielle Steele and Arundhati Roy to be the epitome of English literature.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

no link, there.

Vivek Y. Kelkar said...

Marvellous site Shankari. Thank you. For someone like me whose "mother" tongue is English too it's a treasure trove. I love Wordsworth, Keats, Coleridge, Browning and Tennyson plus a bit of Auden and Eliot.

And yes you're so bloody right about about Steele and Roy!

Shankari said...

anonymous, the link is there both in the post and among my links listed on the right side between my profile and the previous posts. try again!

Ah traveller, please do sample Donne in the voice of Sir Rich B and Yeats as himself! :)

Pallavi said...

Where is the link ?? Kindly post it and share please

Shankari said...

Oye Pallavi, how could you miss it? Its there among the links!

I KNOW you'd love it! Do go there pronto!