April 14, 2006

Pro choice

I am under seige again- much like this lovely idiotic city I'm living in. I am getting frantic yet furtive calls from all manner of folk who periodically pop out of my woodwork. Whats up? Just called to say Hi. So whats happening, yaar?- And plenty of such inane talk. But wise dh saw it coming much earlier- 'Whats with all this womyny stuff? Too many womyny posts and the Great Indian Unwashed Masses would give up on you', he warned. Another signs that my friends are geting more worried than ever for my residuary sanity and so on. So I'm likely go easy on those kinda themes but, please, pretty please, could I do this one?

Reading this here, had me worrying- about the choice and access to medication and treatments. But why do I worry my already cluttered up head about access to medications? Usually, I have been one to shun most medicines preferring to grin and bear it (and then to wear my woes and attitude as my badge of long suffering!). Feeling miserable comes so easily to me- sigh! Gather around, ye sisters, we shall celebrate our woes- seems to be the refrain.

While I may or not always volunteer to try out the latest in pharmacological advances, while the prospect of using all the state of the art drugs, micro administered carefully in their respective hotly debated dosages may not be my idea of bliss, would I like to be deprived of the biological benefits, if needed, of Nitric Oxide, would I forgo the choice to exercise my option on whether or not to use RU 486 (again, the earlier post!), even therapy like ECMO, for all its complications? No, most certainly not. But then would I hook up to life support systems to let life live itself through me??? A lot of choices there- not all the same for all.

I definitely would not have made past the previous year but for some timely and well dosed administration of ALA and other such micronutrients. The effect that an antioxidant can have on everything from mood to hair to health and a feeling of well being- and to think that I chose for long not to avail of such help, chose not to make a choice, to reach out, to get out of my misery. Once I got help, I did immediately reach out and let my charmed circle know of these choices (of course, many of my friends are similarly placed), but then its all about our own choices huhn?

3 comments:

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

That's just it. The word choice means choice. You get to pick. I don't get to pick for you. We seemed to understand that when we were kids. How come all of the grown-ups forget how it works?

Shankari said...

Hi Liz-

Maybe its part of conforming, growing up, growing into roles and positions which are set and acceptable? So much so that we not only do not get to choose, we often forget that there is a choice in most matters.

You sure can help in reminding those around you being the person you are! :)

Pallavi said...

Hey lady lei..
whats up..

I am trying not to forget the person I am..

We got to meeeeeetttt !! !

Japanese what say ?