July 09, 2006

Blue Green

More blue-

I do not suffer from SAD -ness or any other 'polar' debility. It is periodic, these streaks of blue- long and deep. Like Begum sang, one waited- hum toh samajhe the ki barsaat mein barsegi sharaab, aayi barsaat toh barsaat ne dil tod diya.

To enhance this pervasive dripping soppy sadness, I have disarmed myself with suitably sentimental and slushy poetry of the Tragedy Queen, Meena Kumari!

Sitting and listening to her poetry in her own words, I was misty eyed and found myself quite by chance as it were, sitting on the wet green grass in my lawn. The soft music by Khayyam isunobtrusive but seems to make a contribution of its own - the wail of the sarangi, the sound of jaltarang, sitar and all the other softly played instruments, the husky, alcohol-soaked croon of Meena Kumari, the overpowering smell of the fresh grass, the weepy lyrics, the soft red mud staining my old faded corduroys, my kids buzzing around like some giant benign butterlies- me feeling very blue-green.


Some snatches of the sterling sentiment seived out of the sentimental soup:
(My apologies to those who understand or can't suffer sentimental, even though beautiful, tripe!)

Tukray tukray din beeta
Dhajii dhajii sham mili

**
Poochhate ho to suno
Kaise basar hoti
Raat hairat ki
Sadqe ki sehar hoti hai
Saans bharne ko to jeena nahi kahte ya-rab
Dil hii dukhta hai na ab aasteen tar hotii hai.
jaise jaagii huii aa.Nkho.n me.n chubhe.n kaa.Nch ke Khvaab.
raat is tarah diivaano.n kii basar hotii hai.
Gham hi dushman hai mera
gham hi ko dil doodhata hai
Ek lamhe ki judaai
bhi agar hoti hai

**

Zarre zarre pe ja.De ho.nge ku.Nvaare sajde.
Ek ek but ko Khudaa usane banaayaa hogaa.
Pyaas jalate huye kaa.NTo.n kii bujhaayii hogii.
Risate paanii ko haathelii pe sajaayaa hogaa.

**

And this litlle nugget (for Kamaal Amrohi- at the time of their divorce)!

Talaak to de rahe ho
Nazare kahar ke saath
Jawani bhi mere lauta do Mehar ke saath

BTW, This stuff is going to keep me company on my trip out of town!

8 comments:

chitra said...

i never knew she wrote poetry and sung !

Junius said...

/-my kids buzzing around like some giant benign butterlies- me feeli
beautiful narration :-) , nice post...
i didnt know elder people too feel so blue....

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

lovely stuff to be a companion for ur trip , njoy maadi

Shankari said...

Chitra,

Yes, her writing and reading are phenomenal and seem to have got me in hooked lined n sinkered.

Ende,

chikkaiah, elder people antha dodd problem. Yenn maad beku- makkalu idaare.

Swathi,

njoy yennu adhu gottila, BUT... maadtini- solpa help beku!

Anonymous said...

didnt know u knew kannada either!

:)

Meena

Shankari said...

No Meena, you know me na!

Shankari said...

Ganga,

Channagilla. Guess its some illa-ness :(

BTW, was travelling in AP last week- spent time in Araku, Paderu, RV Nagar n Narsipatnam before returning via beautiful Vizag! n yes, had a brief stop-over at Hydbad too! :)

Anonymous said...

Poetry is very important