September 21, 2006

Personal

CP & I

NOTE: This post is not, repeat NOT, about dh or my marriage. This post, like the rest of this unleavened blog, is about me.

As a child I was notoriously shy. There were stories of how people had to bend extremely low to be able to hear me apart from the tales of how I never seemed to pay any attention, be interested in any thing around me. I had many friends and no single best friend to choose amongst them.

Then there were the usual loyalty issues at home. Being the youngest, I was always asked to align myself with one of my ever sparring siblings. Big brother was very very much older and spent the little time we had together being
alternately kind and cruel, like one would with a pet mouse. Big S was more forthright and took charge, demanding pledges of absolute loyalty.

There was this instance when the maha block-bluster was released in the mid-1970s (Sholay). Being that we were non-filmi types, our family was the only one in the entire neighbourhood, which hadn't seen it! The songs- they were everywhere. Inspired by one such, Big S asked to hold my hand and sing with her about how our friendship would be eternal and that it would live on even after our breath leaves our bodies and so on. To her everlasting chagrin and, I must admit, to my credit, I never held her hand or made any such promise to her. Some such song may have been sung by dh too (oh, I suffer so from amnesia), but I have never been pinned down by a word to any one.

There were others who tried to play the emotional blackmail game, if you like/love/care for me, then you have to ----- and just this way.

I never commit. I never promise anyone anything. And yet can never hold myself back from delivering on all those promises not made. Put myself through all manner of extremes and unpleasant stuff to endure, last out, see things through, stay till the end, do the done thing - but, I don't ever commit. I never say ever or never.

So whom am I fooling?

8 comments:

Sujit said...

may be you care and act dont care?.. people expect than request?.. then fooling thyself?

chitra said...

You are just fooling youself! You are the one who stands by all friends, relatives and really live through their troubles.
probably, initially you might not want to commit out of fear of not able to fulfill the commitment.

Love you.

Junius said...

i think all this is OK, whats wrong ?

Shankari said...

Chitra, trust you to come up with that!

(blushing at all that love)

Sujit, can't make out what you said- can't make out what I said either! :)

Ende, thanks for the reassurance

Known Stranger said...

hmmm

LAK said...

Hey, that last para could be me! And I think Chitra got it right---we don't commit, but stick by our unuttered commitments. I know only too well----

LAK said...

From the heading I thought you were writing about Connaught Place---then I deciphered it to be commitment phobia!

Shankari said...

KnownS

:)

lak,

The link is there na?

thats the point, IF one does stick why not agree to commit, just as vice versa?