January 15, 2007

A gut feel of pain

It was meant to be an hour long 'exploratory' abdominal surgery- they didn't know what exactly was wrong.

The X-rays did not reveal the cause of the steady decline, the green aspirate, the abstinence which made the Doctor's advice of Nil Per Oral so totally redundant, listless eyes which had aged over that week of suffering and had gone beyond pain, the scooped out hollows which constantly asked but one question- how long the torture would continue, how much more the shrivelled body had to bear its burden of shallow breath.

They wanted the mother to be there till he 'went down' under anaesthesia and to be around when he came to. So all there in the green pant suits and green caps set about their work like so many workers in a green-uniformed factory, all working on that tiny body under strong lights. You can leave now and wait in the recovery room of the OT for about an hour, they said.

They cut in to realise the extent of internal damage, the rotten portions of gut to be cut cleanly without spilling any of the lethal toxicity it had acquired, and then the subsequent stitching of the gut with each vessel being matched and patched together like a complex but vital jigsaw puzzle. Anastamosis is not an easy job!

They worked fast and furiously, staunching the blood, topping the anaesthesia, introducing appropriate levels of morphine, checking on vitals.

They were half way done before they realised the enormity of the exercise. There is just so much of anaesthesia that 12 kilos of body weight can take. They would lose him if more topping up was done and the option was to do the actual stapling when he was 'coming to'.

Someone needs to hold him, to calm him - not only to mitigate the pain which the morphine was unable to deal with but to deal with the mute terror in those eyes which accused the world much more sharply than the piercing shriek, like that of a lamb at slaughter.

The hard nosed professionals that they all were- handpicked for such eventualities, they had to call in the mother again.

Later, much later, in the ICU the anaesthetist came in to check. But she did not look at the post-operative patient at all. She looked at me, one mother to another, and said, It isn't easy being a mother, is it? I looked down at the exhausted bandaged bloodied bag of bones, tubes, pipes and monitors which was precariously clutching at me, pulling on my heart strings just much as yanking at my hair. I saw an intrepid spirit there, a physical manifestation of Life itself, dry heaving and wracked in a terrified, traumatised, irregular tattoo of tachycardic breath. I wished to take away all that pain through those fluttering kisses lightly touching his hair.

But her eyes pleaded with me, beseeching me to forgive her for hurting my baby. I transferred the teensiest-weensiest bit of my attention to her. She was in tears. She, the doctor and me, the mother of the sick baby. The roles reversed completely.

The words came gushing out and she started telling me how it hurt her to see her juvenile diabetic daughter suffer and how being a mother is so tough. As the tears flowed, the words came out faster. I was holding her hand (didn't know I had a hand to spare) and comforting her much as gently as I was stroking my baby and as strongly as I was telling myself that it would all be OK.

10 comments:

Shankari said...

Nearly six years to the day and this is what memory dredged up, from amonsgt the brimming pot of memories, this pongal.

(Is not a wonder then that having had such days, one cherishes each day as a festive occasion, even if the memory tries its best to pour out?)

Kinda graphic, this insight into memory!

dharmabum said...

very graphic, shankari. and quite scary - for somone like me who has hardly been exposed to any physical suffering...

i am happy about one thing though - the memories seem to have prompted u to post! the 'brb' in the previous post came ealier than expected, and am i glad!

ur posts are such an inspiration i keep wishing i bump into u soon :)

take care. and happy sankaranti!

Shankari said...

dharmab

It was a cut and paste from a post in another on-line forum I post in. So just a few more moments of typing and I was done- right back with a post on my blog :)

And how dare I forget that there was a Francophile Pondicherrian (?) here!

Don't let me frighten you because I write all kinds of random stuff- as you know by now.

It is quite independent of the reader, this ranting of mine! :))

dharmabum said...

:) am glad to note that the ranting is independent of the reader - it is so in my case too (atleast most of the time, except if i censor something for fear of my dad reding it and getting worried!). atleast, we are able to maintain some level of objectivity :)

francophile, yes, but i like all languages. only, i didn't get the connection in this case?

just curious - whats the other online forum? :) guess i haven't had inuf of uthinksour :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Shankari
such memories make us thankful...thankful for all the moments of good health and joy that God has filled in our kitty.

Sideways Chica said...

Wow.

Ciao bella...thank you for reminding me that no matter what we always have an extra hand that should be used to reach out to others who may need it.

Shankari said...

Dharmab,

My respect for you increases! :)

Anj,

Yes, it is the daily graces we need to say for all the things we enjoy.

Teri,

Been missing you!

Miss Iyer said...

Excellent write-up. I almost slipped into your shoes for a few minutes there :)

I'm glad I stopped by!

Shankari said...

MsIyer,

No, I wouldn't recommend them- these shoes of mine pinch!

Thanks for coming by. :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.