October 03, 2006

The World Is So Small

(Or why I should walk more)


This evening I came home with my ample shoulders bearing the burden of all my onerous woes to see ds fallen asleep waiting for his amma to reach home. I felt further burdened by the guilt trip we working women have and was about to sink into my scowly sulky self, when I decided to step out.
Just be back in a mo. I said and strode out before any protests could begin. Keeping me company was an obscure NFAK track from an album called Nach ke Manava Yaar nu, which believe it or not sounded like, ugh! Tere bina bhi kya jeena. You know just how low things are if Nusrat sa'ab sounds like a Kal-An song! But just the sheer momentum of moving, striding purposefully in a totally random fashion helped. I'll just pick up a fresh loaf of the Daily B and run back home, I thought. I turned into the neighbourhood Food World ready to pounce on any unwary creature who may be lurking there but lo n be!

Flashback to February this year.
I sat extremely nervously at the waiting chambers of a flourishing gynae with a budding practice, among very pregnant females and feeling quite at sea there. But then having made some promises, I had to keep them too. I had with me a tiny red draw-string bag which I wished to stuff with goodies for a sweet girl. I wanted to embroider it with some suitable pattern, but was quite at a loss. I tried out some patterns, took them out, then some colour schemes. Wasn't too sure. Looked up to see the bright curious eyes of an obvious primi (nearly full term) and suddenly I didn't feel so out of place there. We made friends with each other by holding out different coloured strands of Anchor thread and golden glitter and soon swapped tales of our childhoods, schools, jobs and what have you! We parted promising to keep in touch with each other, but you know how it is- we lost touch.
And now here she was with a bonny baby in tow in mine own Food World! I burst in shrilly screeching Hiiii (without much concern for other denizens of that World) and then (not quite remembering her name) stepped back a bit in case she didn't remember me- but oh! sweetholymother she did! We hugged, shared our updates over the past few months of not being in touch(!), and then did the ultimate feminine talk of swapping birthing tales. I picked up and hugged and cooed over baby, while she gurgled happily and drooled various fluids on my shoulder.
After hearing about burst waters, 30 hours of non-progression of labour, C-section, excellent birth weight, the sweet temperament of baby, perfect regimen of feeding, a successful annaprashana, the first cold of the god child, I did feel better.
PS: This time I gave the mom my number and promised we'll be in touch more.
PPS: BTW, I returned home empty handed as there was not one loaf of bread on the shelves there today!

8 comments:

Sujit said...

not one loaf strange food world! or may be everyone were cautious and took bread ?.. that great!.. you met someone whom you though would never meet again!.. cool!..

AfricaBleu said...

It's lovely how the world hands you a gift every once in a while -- chance meetings with missed friends certainly qualify as a gift, in my book.

And in the words of that oh-so-sensitive French monarch, BEFORE her pretty little head was struck from her shoulders: "Let them eat cake."

Shankari said...

Sujit,

Probably its true that everyone had stocked up on bread y'day what with the Karnataka bandh on today. There never is anyone who I think I wouldn't meet again...

So long then


Becky,

Sweetholymother, cakes it is! Ma(che)rie

Who is a missed friend and what is a chance meeting???

Hope to meet you Becky when you come to India

Au revoir!

Sujit said...

how was your trip? enjoyed nicly?.. laddu for ??

Anonymous said...

u're so sweet..and i always love the links u provide in ur posts..

starry said...

No bread:(..but atleast you met a friend and caught up on all the news.

Anonymous said...

Dear Shankari
I now see that though we parted really not promising to keep in touch with each other and never did in fact, but you know how it is- we lost touch and I have been browsing through all your posts and on this one I decided to SHOUT Hiiiiiii! and when I opened it to comment - I saw that among your friends is that WONDERFUL person Gangadhar who I do think is one of the really good internet friends I made. And that must have been how you perhaps checked out his friends and seeing a mysterious Deepak Menon among them - investigated and found out that you actually knew me - Ha Ha
Chalo - yeh hi hai Zingdagi aus is ke liye hum ko oopar wale ko shukriyan dena chahiye!
Keep well and spoil your little ones as much as you can - mine are in college now
Deepak

Shankari said...

Small world Deepak! :)