August 30, 2006

Friend-sied

All my friends know how much I love my friends- old and new.

There is always a frenzied excitement about meeting new friends, learning all about them, being with them! The initial high, the heady honeymoon phase, then the settling in to a routine which is comfortable without being jarringly distracting.

Through this madness, invariably there is the sane tone that old friends provide, the safe comfort of their anchor and support ensures one doesn't get blinded by the brilliance of new-found friends.

That said, there are no friends like old friends!

So imagine how ungrounded I was this morning when my very first pair of diamond earrings went literally down the drain!

But...

after an hour of reconciling myself to the fact that life often offers such shocks, I received a call from my major domo telling me that my friends had not deserted me after all!

I shan't offend delicate sensibilities all around by detailing how the drained off diamonds were recovered. But hey, all you friends out there,
you all mean the world to me and I am holding on to all of you- tight!

Am I grounded?



7 comments:

chitra said...

initially, i thought u r writing abt us !

Shankari said...

Hey Chitra,

While I must be fair and admit that you are pretty old (!!!), you aren't my oldest friend, y'know :p

I've managed to hold onto some people far longer.

And yes, they are all diamonds, my best friends!

chitra said...

"Us" meant your whole gamut of human friends!

And not you and I. Knowing you, I cannnot be possessive and deprive others of the warmth nd love that you have fr others!!!!

Anonymous said...

yeah..true friends are diamonds, precious, yet rare. false friends are autumn leaves, found everywhere...Known dis quote since my engg days..

Anonymous said...

friendship.. is a two way traffic

Sujit said...

I dont think you can ever ground!... even if you do!.. your freinds will come in parachutes and take you off..:)...

Shankari said...

Hi Ganga,

Nice quote- but then I have a quibble- I find neither diamonds nor friends very rare- if any, they are well done! :p

Anne-on,
Am not too finicky so leave the traffic-y issues to the ficci types!

Sujit,

That was an awesomely perceptive thing to say (given that you don't even know me!).

'Tis right, whenever I am plummeting down, I can't resist the 'pull' of the parachutes! :D